Thursday, July 1, 2010

Too legit. Too legit to quit...Ever

So, I'm a legit actress now...well, once I turn in my signed contract I will be. And I am so stoked about it! Yesterday I met with a talent agent from Pastorini-Bosby Talent (PB Talent), Houston's most well-known agency. They saw a couple of monologues that I did and offered me representation. Yesterday's meeting was to discuss how the agent-talent relationship works and get a contract.

My agent, Cindi Davis, was so friendly and personable, which made me feel very comfortable right from the start. She said she saw my monologues and that they were terrific, some of the best she has seen (I almost cried when I heard that, just sayin'). She asked me what classes I've taken, and when I said none, she said, "Wow. That's impressive. You just have that natural, God-given talent to act. You don't see that anymore." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I kept asking myself, "Is this real?" I can't even begin to describe how I felt at that moment and am still feeling now. When you want something so much, with your whole heart, you feel protective of it. Your sensitive about it and fearful that you may lose it. And for me, that fear of loss, that I might have to let go of a dream I've had all my life, is what kept me from going after it. I was scared that if I tried acting someone might tell me I'm bad and that would destroy me. So to hear that I'm not only skilled but have a natural, God-given talent is unlike anything I can describe. It makes me want to smile and cry and laugh and scream and jump up and down and stand completely still. It's a moment you want to get lost in and never find your way out of. I'm still living in that moment now.



We all have dreams. From the time we are little we all aspire to be something. And as we grow up those dreams change and manifest and expand and some go off our radar all together (I could not have been a paleontologist. Me and heat and dirt and digging. Not friends). Some of those dreams are HUGE and outlandish and fueled by hope. They are dreams you fear you have a one in a billion shot at reaching, dreams that others tell you you'll never fulfill. But it is so important that you not listen to those people. Ignore anyone who tries to convince you that you can't have something. Even, no especially, when that person is yourself. We are often times the biggest road block between ourselves and our dreams.

My biggest dream is to be an actress, to be on the big screen, to walk the red carpet and win an Oscar. Are those big dreams? Yes. Are they hard to achieve? Yes. But will that hinder my ability to go after them? NO. For the longest time I let myself keep me from pursuing my dream. I provided myself with excuse after excuse. And then last year I decided that I was no longer going to set by and watch my dream dissipate, leaving me with regret and constantly asking, "What if?". The feeling you get knowing that you are going after what you want is almost as good as getting what you want. So many people don't even try to achieve their dreams, so just making the effort is a great step forward.


I still have a long way to go before reaching my ultimate goal and a lot of obstacles that I will have to overcome on the way, but I just have to take this one step at a time, day by day. And then one day I'll look up and be standing on top of the world : )

I know this post is long and likely even boring, but I just want everyone to know that you CAN have anything you want. Anything. You just have to be willing to work for it and, at times, fight for it. When I was little and told my mom I wanted to be an actress she was completely supportive but said, "Just know that no one from Hollywood is just going to come knock on our door one day and say 'We want to put your daughter in a movie.'" In other words, you have to work for what you want. So please, please, please, if you have a dream, no matter how big or small, go for it. It's yours.

Before I shut up I want to say thank you to my amazing family for the unconditional support and encouragement. I am so, so blessed. Without my family and friends behind me, empowering me to keep going, my dream would always be just a dream. Thank you for giving me the strength to follow my heart. I love you all.


5 comments:

Juven said...

So proud of my little cachana. I love you and I know you will do great things. Run and don't look back! YOU will achieve your goals and desires. I know it. I feel it.

Harlax said...

Thanks, Juvs!!! You are such an amazing friend. Love you : )

Carrie said...

I second what Juven said, minus the "little cachana" part, I think??? LOL
I have always known you were someone special with MANY talents (which will not be named on a public post)HA! I admire you for so many things BUT I really appreciate the fact that you are going for IT! Dreams change, for most of us, as the season of life does...they get rearrange and sometimes they blow away! Not for you my lovely... NO REGRETS!!!! I love you!

Acting Journal said...

Love this Story Sarah! I love Cindi! You'll love PB too. Only good things ahead!

Harlax said...

Aww Carrie, you are such a special friend. Thank you for the comment you left. It made me smile. You're support means a lot to me.

Kay, I really admire and look up to you. You are so talented and working with, brief as it was, was such a treat. I hope our paths cross again.