Friday, August 21, 2009

NEW AUDITION!

So, wow. I am posting two days in a row. This is monumental. HUGE. Get excited...So are you?What do you mean Am I what? Excited? Well fine, I don't care. Be a crappy friend. Because you're not excited, my self esteem has gone down, making me depressed and angry, which provoked me to throw my scissors across the office, hitting someone in the eye. Now she's crying and bleeding everywhere. Her loud crying (really, she's overdoing it if you ask me) made everyone come running out to see what the chaos is about, wherein another colleague of mine slipped in the blood of my now one-eyed colleague and now that person has a concussion and amnesia. Everyone is looking at me like I'm the one responsible when really it's you. I'm probably gonna get fired now, not be able to pay my rent, get kicked out of my house and forced to live on the streets with my dogs, who I will have to pimp out to other homeless dogs so I can feed us all. Hope you're happy. You are the reason there's dog prostitution.


Oh, what? Feeling guilty that young, innocent pups are having to give up what's sacred to them because you can't display an emotion? Want to get excited now? Thought so.

Here's why I'm excited: I got another audition! This time it's for a comedy TV show called Toonagers (www.toonagers.tv)


Premise: It's 2010 in Austin, Texas. 22 year old Max Villanueva is a talented illustrator in his final semester at art school. He’s expected to graduate with honors and get an internship at a California studio that is touted as “the next Pixar.” Through an unforseen debacle, Max ends up failing his final, losing the internship, and forced to remain in Texas. His prospects bleak, Maxy seems on the verge of folding like a pair of pants until one of his best friends, angry computer geek Chuck, helps him acquire an animator’s job at Studio e-1, a small Austin-based company just getting off the ground.


e-1 handles mostly advertising for corporate clients – a far cry from what Max originally sought

– but it pays the bills and provides a workout for his animation skills. All the while, though, he

and Chuck are developing a concept for a program they call "Cel Mates" – the animated adventures of themselves and their crazy Austin friends.


Yes, it's set in Austin, but filming is at a studio in Houston. I will be auditioning for the role of Summer Woolbright: Summer is cut from a different cloth. She is the malfunctioning highbeam that can't be shut off. In life, she has the most flair. Summer was unknown to the other characters until being hired by Todd (boss) as the receptionist. At E-1, the proactive Summer instituted new traditions, including a monthly celebration called "Sparkles," where baked goods she had decorated to resemble the employees were eaten. Optimistic in a way befitting her name, Summer means well, even if some cynics dismiss her as a mere "heinous annoyance." 


A favorite target of the boys' practical jokes, Summer's facebook, twitter and myspace pages are regularly mocked, if not hacked. On those sites, she lists her 3 biggest heroes and influences, in order, as Joel Osteen, Ugly Betty, and 50 Cent.  She is first to know about all breaking news (refreshing TMZ and Perez Hilton dozens of times per day), and keeps in shape through a combination of river tubing, Nintendo Wii and indoor karaoke cycling. When there's a big job to be done and morale is low, Summer can be counted on to rally and excite the E-1 troops by flexing her muscles and encouraging them to be, "strong like bull!"


I got the script I will audition with yesterday, and it's really funny. Summer would be such a fun character to play. I so hope I get the part! Like Shut Your Blog Off, this too will film on weekends. I think it'll be so cool to go to an actual studio with set changes and wardrobe changes and do a comedy show with a group of talented, young actors. So you have an idea of what kind of humor it entails, Toonagers pulls from the shows The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's not kids comedy, it's cable-TV, adult content comedy.


Wish me luck!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!
Break a leg!
I'm always uncomfortable telling someone to do that ;>)

Harlax said...

Haha! Well, if I do actually break a leg, I wont hold it against you : )

Acting Journal said...

I love Summer already!!! I love her heros, now go breath life into her!!!! Be her voice, move for her, let the viewer love Summer, because they love you!!!!

Harlax said...

Thanks for the boost, Kay! I've been practicing every day and feel really good about my portrayal of Summer. This Saturday I will become Summer : )